Re: device nodes for fdutils

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:06, Jochen Voss wrote:
> 1) Is it really necessary for fdutils to create
>   device files.  Matt Zimmermann argues at
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/130473
>
>   that the device nodes are created by debootstrap.
>   So it seems sensible that I just could remove
>   the whole device creation mess.

Sounds reasonable to me.  The user can run "MAKEDEV" at any time if they want
to recreate them.

> 2) If I need to create floppy devices,
>   would
>
>     cd /dev && /sbin/MAKEDEV fd0 fd1
>
>   be the correct way to do this?  The "fd0 fd1"
>   seems a little bit an ad hoc construction.

You don't have much choice.  Hardly anyone has more than two floppy drives so
more than two isn't necessary.  Less than two isn't an option as there is
apparently no good way to determine how many drives are present, and many
people have two drives.

The only important thing (IMHO) is that if the device node /dev/.devfsd
exists then you do absolutely nothing.