device nodes for fdutils

Hello,

recently I took over the fdutils package
and now I'm in the process of fixing bugs
in the package.

The most pressing problem is device file
creation: the version of fdutils in testing
uses some home-grown script, which uses
mknod to create device files, in the postinst.
I think this violates section 11.6 of policy
and so I try to use MAKEDEV instead.
(Note that I know of bug #130748)

My questions are

1) Is it really necessary for fdutils to create
  device files.  Matt Zimmermann argues at

    http://bugs.debian.org/130473

  that the device nodes are created by debootstrap.
  So it seems sensible that I just could remove
  the whole device creation mess.

2) If I need to create floppy devices,
  would

    cd /dev && /sbin/MAKEDEV fd0 fd1

  be the correct way to do this?  The "fd0 fd1"
  seems a little bit an ad hoc construction.

What do you think?

Jochen
--
http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~wwwstoch/voss/