Re: What is woody's release process? [was: woody: Remaining RC bugs in base system]

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 06:24:42PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

> I believe, I think as well ... So what is our release process? A
> global experiment to educate developers, that a release won't happen
> until they stop uploading new, probably incompatible packages? ;-)
>
> I get the impression that the release process is not know to many of
> us. The last email from our release manager is dated from October
> (debian-release) and November (debian-devel-announce). Anthony, please
> could you clarify / re-post the release process (not necessarily
> dates). One big question among others seems to be the state of
> unstable during the release process and the existence of a "frozen"
> distribution.
>
> Thanks, Matthias

<policy>
_frozen_ From time to time, the _testing_
     distribution enters a state of `code-freeze' in anticipation of
     release as a _stable_ version. During this period of testing only
     fixes for existing or newly-discovered bugs will be allowed. The exact
     details of this stage are determined by the Release Manager.
</policy>

As far as I have learned from the occasional email announcement, the details
of the freeze at this point are "fix the bugs in base".  We haven't managed
to do that yet, so we aren't moving forward.

--
 - mdz