Re: fun with libgal

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <dm@zensunni.demon.nl> cum veritate scripsit:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 23:12:46 +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> > I thought there was some kind of plan to avoid this kind of drama by
> > linking statically against libgal.
>
> I've escaped the GAL red queen's race by linking gnumeric statically against
> libgal, but there is no overall plan to do so for all gal-using packages
> that I am aware of.

linking statically against a library does not make everything work
magically.
For example, libgal seems to contain some translations, but
gnumeric doesn't seem to have them.

i.e. only the library is statically linked, not the data.

So we have a broken package, which may or may not work
because there is a missing depends on the data.

Unless you really know what you are doing, please don't link
statically to a library, if a shared version is available.
Debian has good framework for handling shared libs,
very much less for static libs.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4