Re: fun with libgal

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 22:31:59 +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:54:41PM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) escribía:
> > I've escaped the GAL red queen's race by linking gnumeric statically
> > against libgal, but

> I tried to do that for the latest ximian-setup-tools package that I have
> uploaded, but I didn't manage to do it. I got some weird errors about some
> lost symbols, and I only could compile it dynamically.

I've just taken a quick look, and it appears that the problem is in the
order in which libraries are linked.

This should help you along:
- add a
	XST_LIBS=`echo $XST_LIBS | sed -e 's,-lgal\>,/usr/lib/libgal.a,'`
  line after the XST_LIBS= line in configure.in to use the static GAL.
- change the
	XST_LIBS="$XST_LIBS $ARCHIVER_LIBS"
  line into
	XST_LIBS="$ARCHIVER_LIBS $XST_LIBS"
  to fix the linking order (as $ARCHIVER_LIBS refers to symbols in $XST_LIBS)
- regenerate the auto* files in debian/rules and configure using
	env srcdir=`pwd` sh macros/autogen.sh [./configure arguments here]
  rather than running "./configure".
- add the appropriate build dependencies for the auto-stuff to debian/control
- extend the "clean" target in debian/rules to clean out the extra files
  like "configure" which are now generated.

HTH,
Ray
--
Personally, I guess I'd favor a sort of modified form of medieval justice.
The idea is that you throw the lawyers for both parties into a pond. The