Re: WTF is with dhcp?

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:49:10AM +0100, Jerome Petazzoni wrote:

> >> This reminds me, it would be nice if there was some tag/virtual package
> >> that provides a "dhcp-client"
>
> > There is already a dhcp-client. I use it as it's much less buggy than pump.
> > dhcp is the server.
>
> Different people will have different opinions about dhclient, pump, udhcpc,
> and dhcpcd (not packaged anymore, IIRC). I also think it would be a good
> idea to have a dhcp-client virtual package -- and dhcp-server, too.
> After all, "apt-cache search dhcp server" yields bootp, dhcp, udhcpd,
> all of them being dhcp servers. Most of us want ISC dhcpd (package "dhcp"),
> but after all, most of us want apache, and we have a "httpd" virtual package.

IMHO, I really liked the idea of task-???? back in potato. It was really easy to
select which package you wanted without the hastle of searching.. I think that this
should be reintroduced in woody under section Optional->Task or something, but
seperate so that they are not intermixed with real packages..

- Adam