Re: calling all ports: what is your endianness?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 07:50:55PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 07:32:39PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > > I just uploaded new Boost (www.boost.org) C++ libraries to sid, and
> > > discovered that they have this buried inside the headers:
> > >

> > > #if defined(__sparc) || defined(__sparc__) || defined(__powerpc__) || defined(__ppc__) || defined(__hppa) || defined(_MIPSEB)
> > > #define BOOST_BIG_ENDIAN
> > > #elif defined(__i386__)
> > > #define BOOST_LITTLE_ENDIAN
> > > #else
> > > #error The file boost/detail/limits.hpp needs to be set up for your CPU type.
> > > #endif
> > >

> > > This has already tripped up the alpha autobuilder.
> > >
> > > If your favourite architecture is NOT listed in the above, could you
> > > please send me:
> > >
> > >   1. a preprocessor symbol to test for, and
> > >   2. the correct endianness.
> >
> >   Shouldn't this be a configure test?

In my opinion, OF COURSE it should be a configure test.  However, it
is not.  The Boost authors appear to suffer from various phobias about
external software.  If you want to argue with them, head over to
www.boost.org and sign up to the boost mailing list.

All I asked for was some information, not a discussion about software
engineering.

Thanks,
-Steve

--