Re: Question about dead-keys

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 12:36:36AM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just been fiddling around with making my machine work in UTF-8 (using
> the Debian UTF-8 HOWTO[1]) and it's sorta working. However, my question is
> about dead-keys. Now if I press the ' or " keys it tries to compose with the
> next character. This may be nice for typing but if you're trying to do
> coding it gets in the way.

It is just a matter of proper keymap. Are you on console or in X?

setxkbmap us (in X) or loadkeys us (console) will quickly restore
original us map.

Anyway, if you follow the HOWTO, but skip the part about

> How do other people deal with this?

I have several keymaps and switch between them when needed (mostly
via hotkey)

> 1. Don't use dead-keys at all?
> 2. Hack it so you need AltGr-' or AltGr-" to do it?
> 3. Something else?
>
> I need to compose characters rather infrequently. Can you have a real
> "compose" key? That would seem to me to be nicer.

You can, but I guess there are not so many keymaps (either console or X).
You can invoke one of them I found (in X) like this:
setxkbmap us -option pc104compose
and then you have compose key on right window key
(and use <compose>a' to produce a with acute accent etc...)