Question about dead-keys

Hi,

I've just been fiddling around with making my machine work in UTF-8 (using
the Debian UTF-8 HOWTO[1]) and it's sorta working. However, my question is
about dead-keys. Now if I press the ' or " keys it tries to compose with the
next character. This may be nice for typing but if you're trying to do
coding it gets in the way. How do other people deal with this?

1. Don't use dead-keys at all?
2. Hack it so you need AltGr-' or AltGr-" to do it?
3. Something else?

I need to compose characters rather infrequently. Can you have a real
"compose" key? That would seem to me to be nicer.

[1] http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/debian-utf8/HOWTO/howto.html
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/