Re: A suggestion for the woody freeze

Hi Adrian!

You wrote:

> The main question is:
> What are we doing our work for?
> Do we want to make a high quality stable distribution or do we do our work
> only for itself without planning to release?

Well, the current situation really looks like we've chosen for the
second option. Not that many poeple actually seem to care about our
current freeze problems.

> If the latter is true we should announce officially that there will be no
> more stable release of Debian.

Well, if we keep releasing once every two years, stable won't be really
usefull anyway. (I've just been forced to upgrade to
unstable on our web servers, because the webmasters need newer versions
of mysql, php and apache).

> > IMHO it'd help if there was some global freeze in the sense that it'd be
> > hard to even get packages into >unstable<. That'd mean that before a
> > stable release isn't out new packages will not make it in. The same way
> > kernel freeze works. That'd mean that if a developer would like some new
> > version or update of a certain software or a new program to be
> > available it'd mean :
> >
> > 	* wait until the release is out
> > 	* or help out to make that happen faster and we can move on then.
>
> I hope this is not needed.
> But yes, if the problem exists in the way you describe it it might even be
> needed.

I agree. I have the impression that in the old (non-testing) kind of
freeze, things were a lot more transparent and freezing was more
effective.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |