Re: A suggestion for the woody freeze

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Jan 25.-27. bug squashing party in preparation of the freeze
>
> Feb 1.     freeze; start of the first bug squashing cycle
>            every upload to frozen must be approved by the release manager

My personal opinion on this is that there is very little motivation for
joe developer to help with the freeze. The average developer is runing
either testing or unstable and accepts the fact that he's spending
10min/day fixing little bugs and can do an apt-get update every day. He
scratches his itch and that's it.

IMHO it'd help if there was some global freeze in the sense that it'd be
hard to even get packages into >unstable<. That'd mean that before a
stable release isn't out new packages will not make it in. The same way
kernel freeze works. That'd mean that if a developer would like some new
version or update of a certain software or a new program to be
available it'd mean :

	* wait until the release is out
	* or help out to make that happen faster and we can move on then.

2¢
*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch