Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

On Thursday 17 January 2002 20:04, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> "Eray Ozkural (exa)" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> cum veritate scripsit:
> > Prior to saying that, you should have read the relevant section in
> > policy, seeing that it simply delegates all responsibility to FHS, read
> > the relevant section 3.8 in FHS and conceived why I said debian packages
> > may install files in /opt/<package>. I also refer you to the thread
> > titled "KDE Filesystem Structure", and messages in debian-kde explaining
> > the situation:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200201/msg00317.html
>        Distributions may install software in /opt, but should not modify or
>        delete software installed by the local system administrator without
> the assent of the local system administrator.
> Tell me how you achieve the above, with Debian packages touching
> /opt/kde

As explained in section 3.8, it is obvious. Local system administrator, as I
have written, manages the contents of the following directories.
  /opt/bin, /opt/doc, /opt/include, /opt/info, /opt/lib, and /opt/man

A distribution therefore cannot touch the content of these subdirs, however
it can install software in a package directory
under which the files pertaining to <package> are maintained. FHS explicity
allows this.

In any case, since distribution cannot install anything in the above
mentioned subdirs, the front end files are to be placed in those directories
controlled by the distribution such as /usr/bin.

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)