Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

"Eray Ozkural (exa)" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> cum veritate scripsit:

> Prior to saying that, you should have read the relevant section in policy,
> seeing that it simply delegates all responsibility to FHS, read the relevant
> section 3.8 in FHS and conceived why I said debian packages may install files
> in /opt/<package>. I also refer you to the thread titled "KDE Filesystem
> Structure", and messages in debian-kde explaining the situation:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200201/msg00317.html

       Distributions may install software in /opt, but should not modify or
       delete software installed by the local system administrator without the
       assent of the local system administrator.

Tell me how you achieve the above, with Debian packages touching
/opt/kde

Current practice is to use /opt for external projects,
and it is impossible to detect conflicts between Debian packages and
external prrojects.

It might be nice to add this bit of policy to Debian Policy
so that people do not start mucking around with /opt.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4