Re: problem with debconf and start-stop-daemon

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > > In quota.postinst rpc.quotad is started using start-stop-daemon. This works
> >
> > Don't, please. This will be forbidden in the future (right now this is ok),
> > you should use the /etc/init.d interface.
>
> Why? That is silly, there are perfectly good reasons to use a different
> method for starting/stopping a daemon in the maintainer scripts then
> init scripts use.

Read the invoke-rc.d stuff, and policy-rc.d stuff in the BTS
(debian-policy). I don't know the bug numbers offhand. It has been approved,
the code is in woody and it works (try running invoke-rc.d sometime), and we
are just waiting woody to go out of the door to start deploying the stuff.

Basically, the idea is to finish once and for all with the mess of daemons
starting and restarting (and stopping) when the admin does not them to, due
to maintainer scripts playing around.  The current default behaviour will
NOT change unless you go out of your way to configure the system otherwise,
btw.  But people that, for example, don't want any daemons running before
they are configured and reviewed will be able to do that.

Please tell me one good reason not to use the init.d script interface to
muck around with daemons _in maintainer scripts_?  I mean, a good one that
justfies bowling over any changes the local administrator might have done to
the initscripts?

  Henrique Holschuh