Re: [ccheney@cheney.cx: libqt2 libpng2 resolution]

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:44:34AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> To put my example for an "ugly problem" in words:
> A program links with two libraries. One of them has an inter-library
> dependency on libpng2, the other one has an inter-library dependency on
> libpng3. AFAIR the -dev packages of these libraries don't necessarily have
> to depend on libpng*-dev.

There's nothing wrong with having libfoo-dev require libpng3 and bar
require libqt which needs libpng2; and it's completely reasonable to
expect to be able to build programs based on libfoo or libqt on a single
system without having to run apt-get in the meantime.

The only thing we can't manage, is building a program that uses both
libfoo and libqt at the same time. At the moment, if you try that (AIUI),
it'll build and link fine, but just fail to work when you try it. In
theory the maintainer should notice this immediately, and not do an
upload at all. Is there any reason for the maintainer not to notice, if
s/he does any testing at all?

It'd be nicer, though, if it failed to link at all, assuming it's never
going to work. Is there any way to achieve this?

Cheers,
aj

The daffodils are coming. Are you?
      linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
                                --- http://linux.conf.au/