Re: [ccheney@cheney.cx: libqt2 libpng2 resolution]

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Adam Heath wrote:

> > > What? That means that you can't have a libpng3 program on a machine with
> > > libqt2-dev installed ... icky.
> >
> > Yes, but that's the only way I see to ensure that there aren't some ugly
> > problems like e.g.
>
> No, completely wrong.  You want to keep the -dev packages from being installed
> at once.  It's the -dev package for a library that says what a program gets
> linked to.  Just having the library on the machine does not mean packages can
> be linked to it.
>
> Get a clue.

I didn't get it yet.

To put my example for an "ugly problem" in words:
A program links with two libraries. One of them has an inter-library
dependency on libpng2, the other one has an inter-library dependency on
libpng3. AFAIR the -dev packages of these libraries don't necessarily have
to depend on libpng*-dev.

Is the last sentence wrong or where else am I wrong?

TIA
Adrian