Re: Appropriate? mutt/mailx requires mail-transport-agent

elf@florence.buici.com <elf@florence.buici.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a diskless workstation configuration where I don't want
> mailers running on each machine, though users may have access to the
> mail spool through nfs.  Is it appropriate for apt-get to coerce exim
> to be installed when I only need a reader?  Is this a problem about
> finding the smtp agent?

If you only want to send email from those workstations, and not receive
any, try the package named 'ssmtp'. It provides a /usr/sbin/sendmail
program to send mail, but doesn't run as a daemon and doesn't listen for
inbound mail. Very nice.
--
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam@topic.com.au     |  I need a short and
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:eddiesam@jabber.org  |  clever comment for