Re: dpkg-cross maintenance status
David Schleef wrote:
> Perhaps some day, we might have cross-compiling as part of Debian
> policy (or at least a tag for cross-compiliability), but I
> certainly wouldn't advocate that now, as it would cause too much
Things I've noticed:
(1) Original software is not ready for cross compiling, hard to solve.
Typical case is the one which builds small program at first
and then run it to generate full-featured one.
Perl, GNU Emacs and others.
(2) Original software is not ready for cross compiling, easy to fix.
Software which hard-code C compiler as "gcc" in Makefile.
Just fix it to $(CC).
(3) Pakcages which need --host=XXX option when invoking configure.
(4) Packaging mistake. Confusion of BUILD and HOST.
(5) Package which does test on build. We cannot test generated
executable in case of cross compiling.
I think that for case #5, we could have some sort of guildline or
tools, separation of build and test would be good thing (in general).