Re: Some thoughts about problems within Debian

doogie@debian.org (Adam Heath) writes:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > One important thing are more frequent releases. We don't have to release
> > as often as other distributions but IMHO it's needed to have a new stable
> > release at about once a year.
[ ...]
> Sure, everyone agrees.  This has been hashed over and over and over.  Talking
> about it doesn't help.  Solve the problem.

But is it solvable at all?

Hasn't Debian become far too big?  Hasn't Debian's size since long
left the manageability of becoming one of a kind with all those other
distributions out there?  Isn't Debian far too different in it's
functional approach of trying to be just a distribution?

Actually i now firmly believe that Debian's foremost distribution
media has become the net itself and that we should better think about
how to deal with it's constant change process instead of thinking in
terms of a "release".  I think, "testing" has been the right approach
so far.  But maybe i'm hallucinating... ;-)

                                 Thanks, P. *8^)
--
     ------------ Paul Seelig <pseelig@uni-mainz.de> --------------