Re: .dsc not generated during package build?

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 04:49:05PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > Since it was trying to tar up 'icu' (which is a symlink) for whatever
> > reason, it may be that dpkg-source tried to create a tarfile containing only
> > that.  dpkg-source just does a "tar cf -", so symlinks would not be
> > followed.  I could see how that might have caused some confusion.
> > I agree that an error should have been reported somewhere during this
> > process if a .dsc was not created, so if you can track down where the
> > problem is, there may be a bug report in it.
>
> Nope, this is not the case.  I generally have a <pkg> symlink pointing to
> <pkg>-<ver>, and it has always worked fine for me.

Right, but in your case, dpkg-source is probably being called with the right
name.  What happens if you run dpkg-source -b <pkg> (pointing to the
symlink)?  When I try it, I get a broken Debian native source package with
a .tar.gz containing only the symlink:

lrwxrwxrwx mdz/mdz           0 2002-01-06 18:11:28 foo -> vmnet-0.4

I suspect this is what happened to the original poster, whose transcript
showed that, for whatever reason (human or software), dpkg-source -b was run
with the name of the symlink as its argument.

--
 - mdz