Re: Still no fam in Woody

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> The current excuse for 'fam' in
> <URL:http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html.gz> is
>
>   - fam (- to 2.6.6.1-4)
>     * Maintainer: Joerg Wendland
>     * 16 days old (needed 10 days)
>     * fam/hppa unsatisfiable Depends: libstdc++3 (>=
>       1:3.0.3-0pre011215) ['gcc-3.0']
>     * Valid candidate
>     * Depends: fam gcc-3.0
>
> Why is it still not included in Woody?  Several kde and gnome packages
> depend on this package, and it would be nice if it make it into Woody
> soon.
>
> I do not understand the unsatisfiable depend error.  The program was
> successfully compiled on hppa.  Is the problem gcc-3.0 >=
> 3.0.3-0pre011214 missing in Woody?  This seem to be a problem on arm
> and m68k, and should not affect hppa, or am I mistaken?

short answer:
fam won't go into woody as long as the build errors of gcc-3.0 on arm and
m68k aren't fixed.

long answer:
fam was compiled with a recent libstdc++3-dev on hppa so you got a
dependency on libstdc++3 (>= 1:3.0.3-0pre011215). This dependency can't be
fulfilled inside woody at the moment. The way testing works is that fam
won't get into woody until a recent enough libstdc++3 is in testing. It
doesn't matter whether the problems that keep the new libstdc++3 from
entering testing are build problems on other architectures, RC bugs in any
package built from the gcc-3.0 source package or dependency problems that
arise when the binary packages from gcc-3.0 enter testing.

cu
Adrian