Re: EURO and CENT signs in the console keymaps

Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org> wrote:
>  - Most keyboards have AltGr-e as Euro
>  - the French keymap (relative to US layout: <AltGr><]>)
>  - the Hungarian keymap (relative to US layout: <AltGr><\>)
>  - the Norwegian and Swedish keymap (relative to US layout: <Shift><4>)
>
> Did I miss anything or is something wrong?

I bought my i386 laptop in the US with a US qwerty keyboard. Soon after I
bought it the keyboard sunk slightly near the plus key, it did not affect my
typing, but it was visible, so I did not bother getting it fixed. Moved back
to the UK and it was coming close to the end of the one year warranty period.
Sent the laptop off so they could fix some other problems that had shown up,
and asked for the keyboard to be fixed whilst they were at it. I knew that the
policy was to replace with local parts, so when I got the laptop back I was
not surprised that it had a UK qwerty keyboard, took me a while to get used to
the new layout, but not a problem.

The Euro is on the `4' of my keyboard, I think it should display a Euro when
used with the `Alt gr' modifier. Most UK keyboards that have been made in
the last few years have a Euro symbol in the same place.

I have only seen one exception, my Dad bought a new computer last month, and
it has the Euro symbol on the `e' key, otherwise it is similar to other UK
keyboards I have seen (it has a £ symbol) and so on. The machine is running
Windows, and `Alt gr' + `e' gives an accented `e' of some kind, while
`Alt gr' + `4', gives the Euro (nasty looking character in the typeface it was
using). So I guess it is just some cheap keyboard, made abroad, and they put
the euro symbol in the wrong place.

--
The enemy's gate is down