Re: EURO and CENT signs in the console keymaps

#include <hallo.h>
Joey Hess wrote on Tue Jan 01, 2002 um 11:33:48PM:
> Yeah Paul has a point. I'm in America; I've never even been to Europe,
> but since I do pay for things in (virtual) euro (gandi.net rules), it'd
> be odd to have to change my LANG to get the symbol. The Debian euro

Not LANG is the main problem, but LC_CTYPE. Applications do not accept
the "euro" keycode at all or not as the expected char. And many are
still to dumb to look for alternative charset if LC_CTYPE is not latin1,
so you have to switch manually.

> work if LANG is not set right? I haven't yet downloaded the (huge)
> transcoded fonts to try it myself.

I got the contents of the xfonts-*-transcoded packages, dropped all
non-latin15 fonts and put the resulting tarball on

> > I'll continue using 'E' for Euro, '#' for pounds, 'Y' for Yen, and 'c' for
> > cents

You can allways use the ASCII replacements, as European had to do for
many years with "full ASCII compliant" hardware and software.

Wer Stabilität aufgibt, um Benutzerfreundlichkeit zu bekommen, verdient
keins der beiden und bekommt meist auch keins.
                                        -- frei nach B. Franklin