Re: EURO and CENT signs in the console keymaps

#include <hallo.h>
Joey Hess wrote on Tue Jan 01, 2002 um 11:33:48PM:
> Yeah Paul has a point. I'm in America; I've never even been to Europe,
> but since I do pay for things in (virtual) euro (gandi.net rules), it'd
> be odd to have to change my LANG to get the symbol. The Debian euro

Not LANG is the main problem, but LC_CTYPE. Applications do not accept
the "euro" keycode at all or not as the expected char. And many are
still to dumb to look for alternative charset if LC_CTYPE is not latin1,
so you have to switch manually.

> work if LANG is not set right? I haven't yet downloaded the (huge)
> transcoded fonts to try it myself.

I got the contents of the xfonts-*-transcoded packages, dropped all
non-latin15 fonts and put the resulting tarball on
people.debian.org/~blade/fonts/.

> > I'll continue using 'E' for Euro, '#' for pounds, 'Y' for Yen, and 'c' for
> > cents

You can allways use the ASCII replacements, as European had to do for
many years with "full ASCII compliant" hardware and software.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Wer Stabilität aufgibt, um Benutzerfreundlichkeit zu bekommen, verdient
keins der beiden und bekommt meist auch keins.