Re: EURO and CENT signs in the console keymaps

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:29:44AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> You also have lot of troubles... After installing transcoded fonts and
> setting LANG=it_IT@euro the default font used by gtk applications is
> much smaller.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it's actually quite annoying to
have to change the LANG environment variable in order to access the Euro
symbol.

For example, I'm Australian and speak English. So, theoretically, I
should have LANG set to en_AU (actually, I don't bother, I still just
use the default of C, but that is beside the point).

However, I tend to spend most of the year living in the Netherlands,
which is one of the countries adopting the Euro, and there's no Euro
symbol in the fonts used by en_AU. I don't speak Dutch, so there's not much
point setting LANG to nl, nl_NL or whatever.  And there's no en_NL@euro. In
fact, for English speakers, there's only en_IE@euro. Sure, the UK hasn't
adopted the Euro, but is it inconceivable that English speakers of non-Euro
countries might need to use the Euro symbol?

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse (paul@dwerryhouse.com.au)

"Why not just have the arresting officer execute you on the spot? If you turn
 out to be innocent, they can cancel the invoice for the bullet." -- sharkey