Re: EURO and CENT signs in the console keymaps

In article <[🔎] 20020101220242.P26419@ringworld.org>,
Scott Dier  <dieman@ringworld.org> wrote:
>The best one is where microsoft put their symbol in
>'iso-8859-1'-cp1252-winlatin1, which is in 80, instead of a4 where
>iso-8859-15 puts it.  What does most codepages use? 80 or A4?  Does
>iso-8859-1 even have anything in 80?  Is this going to lead to lots of
>confusion?

Ah, so *that's* why I'm seeing a lot of open squares on webpages
where I should see a Euro symbol. Instead of using iso8859-15, the
site is using M$ bastard-8859-1. Well perhaps the Linux distro's
should follow that example, put a Euro symbol at 0x80 in the 8859-1
charset. It would not be completely standards-compliant but it
would be easy and useful. Or would that make us just as bad as
Microsoft where standards are concerned ?

Mike.