Re: Grub

    Daniel> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:14:58AM +1100, Jason Thomas
    Daniel> wrote:
    >> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 11:11:15PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
    >> > I don't need to be able to boot every kernel I have installed
    >> > from the menu. Only the current one, and the previous one in
    >> > case I stuffed up the configuration of a new one. Symlinks >
    >> work fine.
    >>
    >> but with grub you can anyway, you can access the grub prompt
    >> and boot any kernel on any drive that grub can read!

    Daniel> Do *you* really want to type:

    Daniel> root (hd0,0) kernel
    Daniel> /bzImage-2.4.13-pre6-xfs-nfpom-kbuild2.5
    Daniel> root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 boot

    Daniel> every single time??

No, I would only do this if you reboot after forgetting to edit
menu.lst ;-)

As somebody else suggested you can edit an existing menu entry at run
time. Typically all I need to change in this case is the version
number....

Also, tab expansion works fine in Grub, just the same as under most
shells. You can even get it to list the partitions available, etc, too
just by pushing tab at the right time. eg if I type in

grub> root (hd0,

and push tab, I get:

   Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
   Partition num: 1,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0xfd
   Partition num: 2,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0xfd
   Partition num: 4,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xfd
   Partition num: 5,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0xfd
   Partition num: 6,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
   Partition num: 7,  Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0xfd
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>