Re: Grub

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 03:28:48PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 08:11:20AM +1100, Jason Thomas wrote:
> > I'd prefer not! alot of users use grub to create rescue disks for other
> > machines, to use for remote booting using tftp etc.  README.Debian for
> > grub mentions howto do this as does that man page for update-grub.

And a lot of people (*gasp!*) actually use it for a bootloader!

Why not just add a small amount of Debconfage (priority low or medium)
to ask them if they want GRUB to do the necessary work?

I'm curious why the GRUB maintainer is effectively saying that GRUB's
only useful for boot floppies. It's not. I've been using GRUB for
*ages*, and it absolutely flogs LILO, especially the command line - it's
really, insanely, useful.

> besides that there is no reason at all to ever touch menu.lst for new
> kernels, just point the menu entry at /vmlinuz or
> /boot/vmlinuz the kernel-image package rotates the symlinks so the
> current kernel is always the default.

Evil, pure evil. Should we apply the same for LILO, hm? I really don't
like this idea.

Progeny have done things well - GRUB is the default bootloader, the
kernel image adds a menu entry. But that's just MHO.

-d, who is one of those crazy deviants who actually uses GRUB for a
bootloader!

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<MadHack> my sister's getting married