Re: Rsync on servers

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 09:28:46AM +0100, Jerome Petazzoni wrote:

> once again, flame me if I'm wrong, but .deb are just an archive file
> with a .tgz in it ; and a small modification of a file inside the
> .tgz would cause some big modification of the .tgz (especially if
> the modified file is in the "beginning" of the tar file). so, the
> patch you're talking about may be of great help when dealing with
> versionned text files, but for compressed archives, it might be
> different.

That's what gzip --rsyncable is for. So small changes near the beginning
don't cause changes near the end. It costs about 1 or 2 percent compression
though I think. You'll have to look it up.

> anyway, according to some tests run here, on the same machine,
> rsync ate 12% CPU, and fmirror 3%. I'll try to get more precise
> figures, bandwidth used, time elapsed and so on.

Note that a lot of time and memory in the rsync in the server is
proportional to the size of the tree on the server side, so the transfer of
a single file may not be representative (if I'm wrong, please correct me).

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/