Re: Default MTA and dependencies

In article <[🔎] E1602u9-0000Ds-00@orion.exa.homeip.net>,
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:
>On Saturday 03 November 2001 14:31, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> "Eray Ozkural (exa)" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> > exim is simply not production quality software.
>>
>> Why, how? Show some facts.
>>            cu andreas
>
>I know exim is very popular among debian users. I'm just looking for
>something that has better usability.
>
>exim works flawlessly when I don't need SMTP auth., but with the SMTP auth
>turned on it will cause a lot of trouble. The following happens too often:
>authentication fails (according to server) and a mail delivery failed message
>is sent to the sender, which gets frozen. Similar things happen whenever it
>fails to send a message, it's just unpredictable and not sufficiently
>fault-tolerant.

That's all completely configurable. It's also logged very clearly,
and there are good tools to manipulate the queue. Moreover the
documentation is extensive and complete.

However, there are many ways to configure exim. Perhaps your gripe
is not with exim, but with the way it's configured by default by
the debian exim package. That's another issue entirely; perhaps
you should talk to the maintainer.

>I feel that sendmail is a much better MTA, but I don't like the way it's
>configured.

So exactly the same problem. You cannot configure an MTA, and the
default way Debian configures it doesn't fit your situation. That
is by no means the fault of the software perse, but with the
configuration. Again it would be constructive to talk to the
maintainer, though I don't think there exists an intuitive way
to configure sendmail. Sendmail.cf is voodoo and sendmail.mc is
still black magic, though more in a Harry Potter kind of way.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.