Re: Proposal: new alternatives links

#include <hallo.h>
Branden Robinson wrote on Sun Aug 05, 2001 um 06:03:33PM:

> > mixer
> > x-mixer
>
> You're going about all of these the wrong way.
>
> The prefix "x-" in "x-window-manager" and "x-terminal-emulator" doesn't
> mean, "oh nifty, it brings up pretty pictures in a GUI", it means "it

I see, you claim x- prefix for X11-internal things. This should be
respected, OTOH I would like to separate GUI and non-GUI applications
since some users want to run usual programs in xterm, not their
GUI-Version (example: vim).

> Most of the things you enumerate above are far better handled by MIME
> implementations.  The exceptions I can see are "x-editor", which shouldn't
> be needed anyway because editors should fall back to text mode if they
> can't talk to $DISPLAY, and "mixer" which doesn't actually handle data, but
> is really just a wrapper around a bunch of ioctl()s.

See above, and then there may be situations where X doesn't work, ie.
if DISPLAY is set but connection is rejected, and you are connected via
a slow network, then you have to wait long etc. Example: vim.

> Even then, it may be too soon to fool with a "mixer" alternative because of
> the many different and incompatible ways of talking to sound hardware (OSS
> interface, ALSA, esd, etc.)

Esd/asd/aRts are sound daemons and have nothing (or not much) with
mixing hardware sources. ALSA is OSS compatible, so an OSS-compliant
mixer program should work in most cases.

Back to this issue: looking to the discussion I see that it doesn't make
much sence to use alternatives for such customisation. Instead, we need
some kind of magic application, which take the favorite
from users ~/.mime.types and ~/.mailcap and runs the appropriate
program. I imagine something like:

autoopen lecture.mp3
autoopen foobar.html
autoopen --mime-type text/plain

Did anyone create something like that, or should I invest my time into a
new project?

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
on it, you know they are just evil lies."