Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 09:00:37PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > That's invoke-rc.d...
> > wouldn't that be better done in start-stop-daemon?
> No. start-stop-daemon is in the wrong abstation layer for this.

why?

> invoke-rc.d is an abstraction layer, on top of fixing the extremely
> annoying ?start out of runlevel" design bug we currently have.

dogmatic statements with no supporting evidence or logic or rationale
aren't worth very much.

how about describing what invoke-rc.d actually is (or giving a reference
to documentation/notes) rather than just making claims like this?

> > have start-stop-daemon call query-rc.d or whatever it's called to
> > find out if the run-level is appropriate for starting the daemon.
>
> No. And what about services that are not daemons? We need to get those
> under control as well.

it's not an issue for those that aren't daemons.

> > if we change start-stop-daemon to support this then *all* init.d
> > scripts immediately support it without any further changes.
>
> Wrong. Many init.d scripts do not use start-stop-daemon.

perhaps they should. if not, then they should implement their own
policy-compliant method of starting & stopping. if they don't do either
then they have a bug.

> > btw, this implies the need for a --force option to start-stop-daemon
> > and/or init.d scripts so that the admin can manually force a daemon
> > to be started no matter what the run-level is.
>
> Read the archived discussions, the policy proposal thread, and the
> already written, tested and debugged code (for both sysv-style links
> and file-rc) before you reply to this message, please.  All these
> issues have been discussed before.

yes, sir.  three bags full, sir.  anything you say, master.

where, master?

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>