Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:08:08PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> At Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:01:57 +0200,
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:
>
> > It strikes me as a bit of over-complication.
> > Moreover, non-ascii chars can appear elsewhere, not just in
> > maintainer's name (e.g. in package description)
>
> I think having two fields of Maintainer: and Maintainer-utf8: is
> a good idea to force maintainers not to use non-ASCII characters
> in Maintainer: field.

not a bad idea.

btw, non-ASCII characters are not permitted in email headers - and one
of the main uses for the Maintainer: field is to provide a contact email
address

some MTAs break when given non-ASCII message headers. some have no
problem. some are configured to reject such messages.

overall, it's a bad idea to break mail standards.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.