Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:43:26PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > > i think someone already wrote something like query-rc.d in order to
> > > solve the annoying problem of package upgrades starting daemons that
> >
> > That's invoke-rc.d...
>
> wouldn't that be better done in start-stop-daemon?

No. start-stop-daemon is in the wrong abstation layer for this.

invoke-rc.d is an abstraction layer, on top of fixing the extremely annoying
¨start out of runlevel" design bug we currently have.

> have start-stop-daemon call query-rc.d or whatever it's called to find
> out if the run-level is appropriate for starting the daemon.

No. And what about services that are not daemons? We need to get those under
control as well.

> if we change start-stop-daemon to support this then *all* init.d scripts
> immediately support it without any further changes.

Wrong. Many init.d scripts do not use start-stop-daemon.

> btw, this implies the need for a --force option to start-stop-daemon
> and/or init.d scripts so that the admin can manually force a daemon to
> be started no matter what the run-level is.

Read the archived discussions, the policy proposal thread, and the already
written, tested and debugged code (for both sysv-style links and file-rc)
before you reply to this message, please.  All these issues have been
discussed before.

  Henrique Holschuh