Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:43:26PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > i think someone already wrote something like query-rc.d in order to
> > solve the annoying problem of package upgrades starting daemons that
>
> That's invoke-rc.d...

wouldn't that be better done in start-stop-daemon?

have start-stop-daemon call query-rc.d or whatever it's called to find
out if the run-level is appropriate for starting the daemon.

if we change start-stop-daemon to support this then *all* init.d scripts
immediately support it without any further changes.

btw, this implies the need for a --force option to start-stop-daemon
and/or init.d scripts so that the admin can manually force a daemon to
be started no matter what the run-level is.

alternatively, dpkg could set an environment variable so that
start-stop-daemon could tell whether it was being invoked explicitly
from the command line or from a dpkg/apt-get install run.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.