Re: LSB specification of runlevels

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:12:01PM +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> What I'd *actually* like to see is for the command to be something
> like "start-service x-display-manager", for xdm, gdm and all the rest
> to register as providing the service x-display-manager, and letting
> init sort out the details of getting it going, including automatically
> starting any other services required.
>
> Supporting this (supposing some hypothetical standards organization
> were to specify it, and it's something that would benefit tremendously
> from cross-distribution uniformity) doesn't imply rewriting init, if
> you really wanted you could instead just shove all the knowledge into
> a shell script which did the right things with /etc/init.d/ and/or
> telinit; though one might reasonably think alternative approaches more
> elegant.

well I must say this is a good idea, to have some sort of alternatices method
for services and use the names like that.

though one command would be better I had thought, so instead of sart-service,
stop-service, reload-service, etc

control-services (start|stop|reload|etc) service-name

now debian already has start-stop-daemon, which is kind of neat, except it
works with individual programs, much in the way a file in init.d does (and
heck init.d files use start-stop-daemon anyway)

maybe for consitancy start-stop-service (although maybe service is not the
best name as it could be confused with /etc/services, and it is not an exact
match, although start-stop-service start http would start whatever web server
you have as default www service provider and it matches /etc/services, xdm is
not only about the xdmcp as found in the file I wouldnt think, but then again
who knows.

        See You
            Steve

--