Re: LSB specification of runlevels

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:16:38PM -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:
> joost@topaz.mdcc.cx (Joost Kooij) writes:
>
> > Books that learn people that "telinit 5" starts X11, imho deserve to
> > be obsolete.  In my book, "/etc/init.d/xdm {start,stop,restart}" is
> > the preferred interface to manually intervene in the running of xdm.
>
> Most distros start xdm from init, so it's natural you would turn it on
> or off by twiddling init.

No, the point is that this is not natural, in fact.

I want my linux to be like unix, not like windows.  Please don't make
"twiddling" the norm here, too.  Straightforward interfaces are needed.
They are available, but they are ignored, because the author of some
book didn't know his subject and did insufficient research.

Please come with examples of unix books that say: "fiddle with init if
you need to restart a service".  It must be a real unix book, not some
book that claims to be about linux, but is really about one specific
version of one specific distribution of linux.

I worked in a place where they would restart the whole server if they
needed to restart cron or syslogd.  People who start with linux after
coming from windows, will tend to do that sort of thing a lot, until
they learn how to do things properly.  I have no problem with them doing
things clumsily on their own systems, while they still need to learn how
to do it properly.  I remember doing that myself, until I figured it out.
I do object to proclaiming this to be the norm, prohibiting people from
doing things in the sensible way, the way they were intended to be done.

Cheers,

Joost