Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:14:12PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> True. However in this case, we will probably have to fold, as it is not
> impossible to implement the LSB runlevel stuff in a proper way. We might as
> well do it, and use our leverage to change other parts of LSB that are more
> troublesome (if any).

i think we should just ignore this particular peice of brokeness in
the LSB.  I have yet to see ANY example of something that will be
broken by us ignoring it.

and don't try and say anything about xdm.  we don't have xdm marked
essential: yes or Priority: required last i checked, nor does the rest
of the X Window System depend on it.  all anyone has to do to screw
lsb is not bother installing xdm.

> It should be relatively painless to take advantage of debconf to have a
> shared template for "Use LSB runlevels, true/false?", shadowed by a proper
> config file in /etc/default/.  Notice that we are NOT forcing anyone to
> accept the LSB runlevel layout (defaults should be true (LSB runlevel) in
> the debootstrap-installed version and false otherwise, IMHO).

debootstrap doesn't install much that uses init.d but there must be a
way to fix a broken lsb setup and restore it to normal, even after
fresh installs.

> Keep in mind that ALL packages using initscripts WILL have to be fixed to
> comply with invoke-rc.d (even if I end up forced to NMU sysvinit to get it
> done) sooner or later. We might as well use the opportunity to request them
> to: either make use of the /etc/default/foo config file to know which
> runlevels they should try to place themselves in; or tweak update-rc.d a
> little to accept an optional argument to its "defaults NN-start NN-stop"
> mode that specifies which LSB-runlevels the package wants (and ignore that
> field if the user requested non-LSB runlevels).

why not make a config file for update-rc.d which defines what it does
for `defaults' that could be useful or things other then LSD.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/