Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:40:24PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> In any case, the main reason why we standardized run-levels was so
> that we could generalize this common practice in a
> distribution-nuetral way.  The problem seems to be that Debian has
> absolutely no standards in this space, and there are people who view
> this as a feature.  Personally, I view this as being little different
> than most things which end up in Debian Policy.  Stuff in Debian
> Policy restricts the "freedom" of developers.  But it allows for

debian policy is mainly designed to ensure maximal freedom of the
sysadmin to control things, and restricts the developers `freedom' to
stomp all over the admin's configuration.  it also ensures packages
are sane and consistent, but the way it read it its primary goal is
for the sysadmin's benifit.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/