Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu>:
> The reason why the run levels are specified was to handle cases where
> An LSB application may wish to have some kind of daemon which is only
> running when X11/xdm is running.

Given that system administrators can change and do change the meaning
of each runlevel, any application that makes any assumptions on the
meanings is simply broken.

I don't know of a good solution to the problem the LSB application maker faces,
and it might be that making wild assumptions on the runlevel meanings is the
best one available, but it's still not good.

--
Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>