Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:04:04PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe pointed out that the LSB seems to allow lsb packages to
> make use of rpm file dependencies on files that are in other lsb
> packages. Of course, dpkg does not support file dependencies. We were
> sort of wondering if this was an oversight, or if the prohibition of
> dependencies is also supposed to prohibit file deps, or if Debian will
> have to settle for only poorly supporting lsb packages since they have
> features that will never be added to dpkg.

I'd have to check to see if file dependencies are actually in Maximum
RPM, or whether it's a feature which is newer than the RPMv2 feature
defined in Maximum RPM.  If file dependencies aren't defined in
Maximum RPM, then we're fine.

In any case, it was an oversight in that none of the people who
reviewed the section knew that file dependencies where an issue that
needed addressing; we knew about triggers and the
post-install/pre-install issues; we didn't know about file
dependencies.  Whoops.

It would have really helped if more Debian developers had been
involved in the whole LSB process.  Perhaps more of these issues could
have been caught before 1.0 was released.  If folks on the Debian list
would be willing to hep us fix these issues in LSB 1.1, that would be
great.

						- Ted