Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

Theodore Tso wrote:
> The intent behind all of these restrictions was to make sure that it
> would be possible for Debian-based systems to be able to install
> LSB-compliant packages by using the "alien" program.

Jason Gunthorpe pointed out that the LSB seems to allow lsb packages to
make use of rpm file dependencies on files that are in other lsb
packages. Of course, dpkg does not support file dependencies. We were
sort of wondering if this was an oversight, or if the prohibition of
dependencies is also supposed to prohibit file deps, or if Debian will
have to settle for only poorly supporting lsb packages since they have
features that will never be added to dpkg.

I hope it's not the latter, especially since it should be easy enough
for lsb package creators to use package dependencies instead. File deps
are really only useful when they're on files in some third parties'
packages.

--
see shy jo