Re: real LSB compliance

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 02:07:38PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
> > It'd be rather nice if we could get unstable and/or an apt repository
> > set up to easily make debian fully LSB compliant, soonish. Realistic?
>
> Ignoring the library versioning stuff, the only obvious points of
> incompatability that could not be easily dealt with by a lsb.deb are are:
>
> * LSB requires that user bin have uid and gid 1 (why?). On my box anyway,
>   daemon is uid 1, and bin is 2.

you would think they would know history, this was done away with long
ago because of NFS mounted /usr.

> * LSB says that if a "operator" user exists, it should be in group root.
>   We have a group "operator" instead.

what is operator even used for anyway?  this looks like more `lets
look at redhat and make whatever we see `standard''

> * LSB says that nobody's group should be called "nobody", while we have
>   "nogroup". Bah.

OpenBSD has both a nobody and nogroup :shrug:

if we want to bother caring about this one just add a nobody group in
addition to the nogroup group.

> * LSB requires bash as the shell, and allow use of at least some bashisms.
>   Well, that's default in debian, but it's trivial these days to install ash
>   and make it the default shell. Does this mean that debian violates the LSB?

that sucks.  #!/bin/sh should mean straight posix.  allowing bashisms
in #!/bin/sh does nothing more then break compatibility with other
*nixes, even Free ones like *BSD.  yes yes what a great `standard' we
have here...

> * LSB defines runlevels, while we define 2-5 identically by default.
>     2 multiuser with no network services exported
>     3 normal/full multiuser
>     4 reserved for local use, default is normal/full multiuser
>     5 multiuser with xdm or equivalent

more `lets make whatever redhat does standard!' runlevels are sysadmin
policy, not some retarded `standards' group.  ignore this.

> * LSB init scripts have these "facility names" in them, which specify when
>   the script may be run in the init sequence. Examples:
>     $local_fs   all local filesystems are mounted
>     $network    low level networking (ethernet card; may imply PCMCIA running)
>     $named      named is operational
>   While this doesn't directly conflict with debian style numbered init
>   scripts, if we support the LSB we will need a way to tell when these
>   faclities are present so that whatever runs the lsb init scripts can do so.
>   Or we can just run all lsb init scripts last in the boot sequence. :-P

your solution is best.

> * They want LANA to assign names of init scripts, under the assumption, it
>   seems, that LSB init scripts should be able to have short and simple names,
>   while not conflicting with the names of any of the init scripts of any of
>   the distributions.
>
>   This is IMHO very problimatic. While LANA will presumably assign all the
>   standard init script names like cron and gpm and so on to the obvious and
>   correct daemons (and indeed there is a long list of pre-assigned names like
>   that in the usb), it limits debian's flexability, and it means that if a
>   developer wants to make a package with some wild and strange and little known
>   daemon[1], they would have to apply to LANA first, or give the script the
>   disgusting named "debian.org-<foo>" or Debian would become LSB-non-compliant
>   again. Yuck. This is IMHO the worst intrustion into the distribution's
>   territory by the LSB. They should have just required LSB init scripts be
>   prefixed with lsb- ...

gross.  i vote for ignoring this one as well.

> Overall, I don't know why this standard was assigned a version number of
> 1.0, since it has a quite thrown-together feel to it. Maybe they just want
> people to look at it, in which case the 1.0 served its purpose here. But 1.0
> also means there is going to be pressure to implement it. Hmm.

pressure by who?  corporations?  who cares.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/