Re: ITP: squeak-vm, squeak-image, squeak-sources -- A highly portable Smaltalk system

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:11:52PM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> > there's a specific clause in the license to deal with a specific
> > weirdness of law in Quebec.
>
> That "weirdness" is a right. So if Apple asks to give up that right to
> be able to use that program, then it is a restriction. And as such
> this license is not free.

as others have pointed out, it is not an uncommon practice for legal
documents to have a clause like that. weird laws have a tendency to
produce weird clauses in legal documents.

> If you understand that this law is a right for the french Quebecers to
> live fully in their own language, then you will understand my point.

I fail to see how you could consider that is a "right" rather than just
a bizarre piece of thoughtcrime legislation.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

> Quebec is officially the only unilingual French province of Canada,
> but in reality people are forced to use english because of the foreign
> US and Canadian investors.

well, boohoo. i'm not going to shed any tears when i hear of
practicality winning out over ideology.

> Normally, when you travel to a country, you are supposed to learn how
> the citizens of that country live and you have to adapt. It doesn't
> have to be the other way around.

when i travel to non-english-speaking countries, i speak a gibberish
mixture of english and bits and pieces of their language that i have
picked up. in any conversation, both parties attempt to actually
communicate - i don't insist that they speak english and they don't
insist that i speak their language. usually some level of understanding
is achieved. if i'm lucky, i may have picked up some more of the other
language in the process. if they're lucky, they may have picked up some
more english too.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>