Re: config.sub, upstream author responsibility?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> > I just got a bug report on one of my packages that it doesn't recognise a
> > specific hardware platform and requires a new config.sub.  As this is part of
> > the original source code, is this the upstream author's responsibility?
>
> This the _fault_ of the upstream author for using a build system that
> refuses to build something even in a generic way if its included
> database doesn't include it. Such build systems aren't
> forward-compatible and tend to be braindead.

Why is a fault of upstrem when the program needs the information on which
platform it will be compiled to do some architecture specific settings?
There are even several programs out that need to be ported to every single
platform (e.g. OpenOffice).

cu
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi