Re: config.sub, upstream author responsibility?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Alwyn Schoeman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got a bug report on one of my packages that it doesn't recognise a
> specific hardware platform and requires a new config.sub.  As this is part of
> the original source code, is this the upstream author's responsibility?
>
> If so, is the only thing I can do to request an update by that author or can
> I actually go change it?

You should request an update by the upstream author, but (at least for
DFSG programs) you should update the file yourself when there's no
upstream version with the updated file in the near future - replacing
config.sub and config.guess with newer version is usually a save change to
a package.

> Thanx

cu
Adrian