Re: ITP: glib2, gtk2, inti

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:16:38AM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Michel> Hello, IANAD yet but wanting to get up to speed on the
>     Michel> upcoming GNOME 2 platform, I wanted to start programming
>     Michel> in Gtk+ 1.3.x / Inti. They are not available as Debian
>     Michel> packages so far so I guess I will package them myself.
>
> I've tried to compile GTK+ 1.3.x several times, and it never seems to
> work on Debian because of the huge number of dependancies on
> unreleased packages. The last time I tried was a few months ago,
> though.

in /opt/lib on my debian unstable box:
> l -1 *.so.*.*.*
libatk.so.0.0.0*
libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-1.3.so.0.0.0*
libgobject-1.3.so.5.0.0*
libgdk-x11-1.3.so.5.0.0*
libglib-1.3.so.5.0.0*
libgthread-1.3.so.5.0.0*
libgdk_pixbuf-1.3.so.5.0.0*
libgmodule-1.3.so.5.0.0
libgtk-x11-1.3.so.5.0.0*

Everything compiles and works fine, except that I need to hack gdkmain-x11.c to
get the stupid thing to work with gtk_init(NULL,NULL), since I'm loading the
lib at runtime (dlopen) from a lisp environment, and there's really no sensible
way of giving it argv and argc. I suppose I could give it some dummy args...

> I'm graduating from university next week, and I'll have plenty of
> time to work on Debian stuff. I'll get Glib/GTK+ 1.3.x packages up
> as soon as I can.
>
> If you do want to just do the packaging work for me, of course, I'd
> be happy to check what you've got and use it. :)

All you need to compile to get the latest gtk working is atk, pkgconfig, pango,
glib, and gtk+. Of course, having these as debian packages would simplify
matters greatly :)

--
-> -/-                       - Rahul Jain -                       -\- <-
-> -\- http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=- mailto:rahul-jain@usa.net -/- <-