Re: holding packages

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:05:39PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Brandon> Maybe this is what you are looking for echo packagename
>     Brandon> hold | dpkg --set-selections
>
>     Brandon> That's what I usually use to hold packages. There might
>     Brandon> be a better way to do it now but this has always worked
>     Brandon> for me.
>
> I never can never remember: what comes first, "hold" or the
> packagename... Is there any danger in trying to set the status of the
> package called "hold" (if one exists) to "libldap2-dev"? Or, will it
> generate an error? (I think this would produce an error, but it still
> makes me a bit nervous).
>
> Personally I would like to be able to do something like:
>
> dpkg --setstatus hold libldap2-dev libsasl-dev libhsync0 libhsync-dev
>
> all on the one dpkg command line.

Yes!  Precisely!  The suggested method of piping hold into dpkg is quite
ridiculous in my opinion, when it is dpkg's responsibility to perform the
hold.

apt could have the same thing, I imagine:

apt-get --set-status hold lilo pcmcia-cs

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A