Re: holding packages

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 03:50:25AM +1100, Drew Parsons uttered these words:
: Why don't dpkg or apt handle package statuses?  You can install a package
: from the command line, but you can't hold it.
:
: dselect is the only way I know to do this, why can't it be done from the
: command line? I thought the use of dpkg was supposed to be optional.

Maybe this is what you are looking for
echo packagename hold | dpkg --set-selections

That's what I usually use to hold packages. There might be a better
way to do it now but this has always worked for me.

--
Brandon L. Griffith	   |   Give me liberty or give me something
brandon@debian.org	   |   of equal or lesser value from your

The opinions expressed by the above named individual in no way are
representative of the aculty, janitors, small woodland animals, and
other gainfully employed people at Lexmark International.