Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

ocsi@debian.org (Lenart Janos) writes:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:30:28PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > You wrote:
> > > As you might already have noticed Debian begun to bloat - so many
> > > unneeded, unused, unmaintained(!) packages.
> > > My opinion is that one DD alone couldn't upload NEW package, but he
> > > needs 2 proponent DD who are willing to "give his signature for it".
> > > Just to make it a little more complicated a minimum of 50 word long
> > > justification needed from all the 3 guys (e.g. two proponent DD and the
> > > future maintainer).
> > unneeded and unused? A package that may be not useful for you may be
> > very useful for many others.
> True. But, if you can't find 3 people out of 900 (so 1 out of 300) who
> see interest in a package, then that package is most probably very
> rarely used.

I can't think of any package, offhand, for which I couldn't find two people
in Debian to say yes.  Therefore, I don't see this porposal as providing any
real utility... it just adds process overhead and makes the jobs of people
who are already overworked harder.

> Other thing: there might be a need for a new Priority (or re-arrange the
> current ones). I mean, something like 'Priority: zero' or something like
> that, so they won't even go to the official set of the CDs, etc.

I've thought about this before, too.  It's not entirely clear to me why we
want packages in the distribution we're not willing to see released on CD's
other than for legitimate release-critical bugs, though.

Bdale