Re: An alarming trend (no it's not flaimbait.) (fwd)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:07:57PM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:

> Brian, I understand your complaints.  It bugs me, too, to find
> software not maintained well.  We are volunteers, though, and as you
> realize, it takes a lot of time to do this, and so it happens, on
> occasion that someone just can't keep up.  I don't think it's really
> fair of people to tell you "hey, see if you can do it better", as you
> may not have the free time to work on something, let alone jump
> through the beaurocratic hoops that Debian places in the way of people
> who want to help.  If you don't have the time, you'll probably end up
> not maintaining it well either;-)

This, however, doesn't make it OK, that the work isn't done properly - I
for one know, that I do not have the time to be an active maintainer of
any "major" Debian-package - So I don't. I have, however, considered one
of the smaller packages, where I can overcome the burden of helping out.

Work done poorly is - IMHO - worse than work not done - If a package in
the Debian archives isn't maintained, it should be left open for someone
else to grab - as in "work not done". Otherwise Debian will look like a
bunch of developers, who have everything under control - but who are just
plain poor at coding. And I don't think that's the way we want Debian to
look?

First post on debian-devel from me, hope there were no major errors...

--
Rune B. Broberg aka. Mihtjel